Integration Guide for IT Administrators
Purpose of guide: You’re most probably reading this on behalf of an organisation that is working to integrate with Zelo. For IT admins this means taking care of one or more of the following three action points below.
Intro: Zelo is an internal communication tool that allows managers to effectively send messages and reach employees via different channels such as email, SMS, Teams and more. Recipients are able to set their personal preference for communication.
The integration below should not take longer than about an hour in total and can all be executed at once given the following prerequisites:
- A domain or subdomain for Zelo to send from.
- You have admin access to your internal user directory (AD, Okta, Workday etc).
1. Domain Authentication
- By default Zelo will send emails from the “firstname.lastname@example.org” domain . By configuring domain authentication you can use an internal domain such as “email@example.com” or “firstname.lastname@example.org” to send emails to employees. This is normally the preferred option.
- Decide on a domain or subdomain you’d like to send from and inform us.
- We’ll provide you with three CNAME records, security included.
- Give or take 48 hours after the records are added to your DNS file Zelo should be ready to roll with your authenticated sender domain.
2. Allow Listing
& Safe Sender List
- You might have strict firewall rules. We’ll give you our IP ranges so you can allow messages from Zelo through. This is to ensure any content that is sent as a newsletter or company update will display properly in the client, and not be blocked.
- If you have certain email clients (ex. Outlook), please ensure that the internal domain or subdomain that is selected above is added to the Safe Sender List so that images and graphics are automatically downloaded. A Knowledge Base article from Microsoft on how to do this on the global organisation level can be found here.
3. Directory Sync
to import recipient (employee) lists with live sync
- Set up a read-only SCIM sync to easily let Zelo have access to Email, First Name and Last Name at a minimum. Add groups (Departments, Location, Start Date) for better filtering in Zelo.
The recipient data is only used by administrators in Zelo (usually your colleague in Internal Communication) to populate distribution lists and send messages to coworkers. The live sync ensures that offboarded employees are automatically removed from lists and no longer will have access to messages received.The sync does not allow any of the recipients access to any part of the application other than receiving messages.
— As a precaution, you should only sync internal users (employees) to Zelo —
See our SCIM sync guides below:
Active Directory SCIM v2.0:
— We allow more advanced and custom sync setups, but a read-only is the first step to populate Zelo and let HR managers explore possibilities —
If you have any questions regarding integrating with Zelo, please contact Tech Lead Martin Venaas at email@example.com
October 4, 2021
October 5, 2021